Cherie Barber shows you how to save money on your renovation investment property.
Renovating is all about adding value to your home. Every dollar you save is a profit earned.
Shop Around for Materials:
• Scour the classifieds, salvage yards, garage sales and the Internet e.g. a fireplace retailing at $1,110 was purchased for just $144 on an online auction site. With just some easy painting, it looks fantastic.
Cut Out The Middle Man:
• Tiles retailing for $175/sqm were purchased for $36/sqm by going directly to the overseas supplier. Buy in bulk and save even more.
Look For Bargains Everywhere (even overseas!):
• Bali is a great place to buy cheap kitchen and bathroom wares, garden art, pots and large furniture. Even with tariffs and shipping included, final costs could be less than a third of local retail prices.
Find The Cheapest Quote:
• Try to obtain 3 to 5 quotes for everything. Then negotiate down from there.
• Don’t be afraid to ask for trade price
• An “asking price” is just that. Make an offer and negotiate.