This beautiful house at Lennox Head in northern NSW looks very old, but is in fact brand new. Owner Ivan de Jong says the house feels like it's been here for 60 or 70 years, but he and his father built it together. Ivan went through three sets of plans and started with a Mediterranean theme. But as they added features to the house, a strong Moroccan look came through. Ivan paid for everything and his father Hank did all the manual work over three to four years of construction. The money they saved on labour went on materials and that quality is an obvious feature of the house.
Ivan says he was never a gardener, but loves it now. The rainforest style garden helps cool the house in summer and provides a beautiful outlook. The main feature of the garden is the spectacular pool, with its water cascading over the side and a stunning view of the beach in the background.
Here's how you can get the Moroccan look for your house:
• If you're clever with colours, shapes and forms you'll easily conjure up a Moroccan look.
• Match deep ochre with white and aquamarine in your colour choice.
• Render your walls roughly for a rustic feel, and play with tile patterns to create sea-inspired mosaics.
• Scour antique shops for interesting shaped carved wooden pieces such as doors, windows and screens, and place them centrally to make them the main attraction.
• Then relax and take a summer holiday in your own home!