Creating your own decorations adds a personal touch to the Christmas tree and can be a fun project for the kids to help with. Bring the tree to life with new Rust-Oleum Glitter spray paint in red, silver and gold - perfect for adding some DIY sparkle to the festive season.
What you need:
- Small decorations or cut-out shapes with loop/hole
- Small brush or cloth
- Rust-Oleum Glitter spray paint
- Rust-Oleum Glitter clear sealer
- Fishing line
- Newspaper or drop sheets
How to do it:
1. Find a spacious, well-ventilated area and protect with drop sheets or newspaper. Use the brush or cloth to ensure the decorations are free from dirt or dust.
2. Using fishing line, suspend the decorations - a tree, clothes line or wire coat hanger works well but cover background surfaces as well as under the spray area.
3. Hold the can approximately 30cm from the surface of each decoration and spray in a steady back and forth motion. Re-spray every few minutes (up to six coats) for a vibrant and durable finish. (Using Rust-Oleum Universal All Surface spray paint in a matching colour as an undercoat will help create a more vibrant finish).
4. A coat of Glitter clear sealer is recommended for a bright sparkle that lasts. When the final colour coat is touch dry (around 20 minutes), apply a light coat of sealer using the same technique described in step 3.
5. Leave decorations to dry completely for 24 hours.
6. Remove fishing line from decorations, replace with a festive ribbon or string - then decorate the tree.