For those of us who cannot even conceive the possibility that flooding could affect them, remember this – anywhere low-lying that experiences rain can flood. Here’s a simple guide to ensure you’re ready when the rain starts bucketing down:
1. Assemble an emergency kit in case of evacuation with essential items. These include water, medical supplies, sleeping bags and non-perishable food.
2. Construct barriers to prevent floodwater from entering your home. If you have a basement, seal the walls with waterproofing compounds.
3. Install check valves to stop flood water from backing up into the drains of your home.
4. If possible, elevate electrical appliances in case the lower level of your house becomes flooded.
5. Remove items such as leaves and debris in your garden that can exacerbate localised flooding
6. If you’re in a high-risk area, install tiles in the lower level of your house.
7. During a flood, consider hiring a silenced pump to stem the flow of flooding.
8. Install a back-up power source.
9. Ensure your house has a safety switch.
10. In case of the worst, create a detailed evacuation plan.
Visit Kennards Hire centre to view the full range of equipment that can assist you in preparing ypur home for a flood.