The easiest way to make a dramatic change to any interior is with paint. And the best thing - you can do it yourself, and save on labour. Shaynna Blaze shows you how.
Over capitalising on a reno is never a good thing, but a basic modernisation can be very effective and won't cost the earth.
- Plaster boarding ugly walls is a great way to transform any space. It’s also an area where you can make choices.
- Spend your money on rooms where there will be most impact. Exposed brick walls can suck the life out of a room, and make it feel dated. Covering them gives a more modern day feel – the space is lighter, brighter and better.
- The open shelves in this kitchen make it feel cottagey and the whole thing is way too 70’s.
- To replace all the fixtures and fittings would be expensive, but....there are alternatives.
- Spraying the base cabinets is cost-effective and means I don’t have to replace them. I’ve used the money I saved to install over head cabinets which give the kitchen a more expensive feel.….and because we sprayed the old cabinets the colour of our choice, we don’t have to go to the trouble of colour matching old and new.
- Simple touches like new handles can make all the difference – it’s an inexpensive way to add a modern feel.
- New tap ware in this bathroom has given it some extra sparkle too.
- Vinyl flooring has come a long way over the years.
- This modern plank in an up-to-date colour is good value for money - it looks fantastic, but doesn’t feel cheap underfoot.