Interior design experts and Carpet Court ambassadors, Darren Palmer and Sydney-based interior designer Stacey Kouros, share their picks for this season’s design trends, including the hottest looks in flooring.
The pair is predicting that 2013 will bring colour, texture and natural finishes to the forefront, although they encourage DIYers to find their own style and buy what they love to create an individual space.
Darren’s trend forecasts:
• Ethnic textures are always in my work. Pairing ethnic textiles, cushions or wall coverings with contemporary design brings interest and depth to your space and it’s a look I’m hoping to see more of in 2013.
• Colour! There will be flashes of colour in drapery, rugs, furniture and art. Teaming large slabs of colour with soft shades of neutrals and greys, there's plenty of scope to play and have fun with your home.
• Touch is the sense I'll be focusing on this year. Finishes will be warm, touchable, raw and natural. Think embroidery, knitting, raw timber with no visable lacquer - soft layering of textures in a simple pared back palette.
Stacey’s trend forecasts:
• A current flooring trend is the treatment of finishing hard surfaces such as timber and tiles. The finish of these surfaces is moving to a much more flat and subtle finish such as oiling timber floorboards and matt finish tiles. The overall effect that this creates is soft, natural and earthy.
• Limed finishes are hugely popular at the moment with timber floorboards. Milky greys, limed whites and light washes help to create softness and a more subtle look, and create a fresh feel in any interior.
• Textured carpets are also popular this season. Chunky loop piles and other textured carpets combined with textured fabrics and wallpapers can create a sophisticated and layered interior.
Looking for more decorating advice from Darren and Stacey? Head to www.facebook.com/CarpetCourt for regular hints and tips, and news about the latest Carpet Court products.