In this modern age we all struggle to step away from technology and enjoy the great outdoors.
Being active is important for children's development. With warm summer days ahead, it's the perfect time to get the kids away from the couch and active outdoors.
Whether it's installing new play equipment or teaching children eco-friendly habits in the garden, there are simple steps that can be taken to ensure kids stay energetic over the school break. Bunnings National Leisure Buyer, Cam Rist, provides his expert advice on how to keep kids entertained during the summer holidays.
- Before playing outside, ensure kids are well-protected from the sun's rays by applying sunscreen, wearing a long sleeved shirt and popping on a hat. Another great idea is investing in a shade shelter for their outdoor play area.
- Kids love getting their hands dirty, and undertaking sustainable activities outdoors will provide them a sense of achievement in creating something that's good for the environment. Encourage kids to set up a seed kit or learn how to compost or dig for earthworms.
- Why not get the whole family outside at once? Kids could get involved in simple household activities such as weeding plants, raking leaves or planting flowers and vegetables in the garden.
- Kids will enjoy having their own garden tools to use. Bright and colourful kid's gardening tools motivate their green thumbs and encourage sustainable habits.
- Set up play equipment to inspire imagination and creativity outdoors. Make sure play sets are installed where it can be seen from a range of viewpoints, so parents can keep a watchful eye on children as they play.
- Playground equipment is fun for all ages, and can be D.I.Y. installed. If unsure of which play set to install, head to your local Bunnings and speak to an expert team member.
For more information about Bunnings' wide range of outdoor playground and garden products, head to your nearest store for expert team member advice or visit www.bunnings.com.au