Carpet is the number-one option when it comes to floor coverings, and an added bonus is that it's a great noise insulator.
Types of Carpet
From around $40 per square metre. Top of the pile, wool carpets last at least 15 years, don't flatten easily, resist soiling, are easy-to-clean, anti-static and are naturally flame resistant. On the downside, 100% wool carpets fluff easily.
From around $40 per square metre. Sisal and coir carpeting are made from renewable, natural fibres. They're well-priced and durable but on the downside stain easily, are difficult to clean and can be a bit coarse underfoot.
From around $30 per square metre. Synthetics cost less than wool but don't look as good for as long. A good option for high-traffic areas (halls, playrooms), commercial properties or rented apartments.
A good -quality blended yarn will combine the quality of both wool and synthetic materials. The most common blend is wool and nylon, which combines the spring and beauty of wool with the durability of nylon. Combining less expensive materials with the higher priced product will also save you some money.
Things to consider
- In high-traffic areas, avoid very dark or very light colours as they highlight stains, marks and fluff.
- Add to the life of your carpet by investing in a good-quality vacuum cleaner. Vacuum wool carpets one or twice a week, pulling against the natural pile.
- Have carpets steam cleaned once a year.
- Consider buying a little extra carpet as a reserve to replace damaged areas.
- Clean spills straight away. Blot liquid stains with a dry cloth and scrape dry sains with a blunt knife. Treat water-based stains with detergent and oil-based stains with dry-cleaning fluid.
- Loop pile carpets are generally regarded as better wearing than cut pile.
- Choose from light, medium, heavy or extra heavy duty depending on how much traffic your carpet will have to take.
Equipment and Suppliers
1 / 2 Niangala Close
Belrose NSW 2085
Ph: (02) 9450 1511
Natural Floorcovering Centre
5 Salisbury Road
Stanmore NSW 2048
Ph: (02) 9569 6999