The energy saving improvements guide below was prepared by Archicentre. The estimates are based on the installed cost of a variety of common household upgrades and range from improvements to a typical 2-bedroom unit up to a more substantial improvements to a 4-bedroom family home.
Use the guide as a short-term shopping list or to plan longer-term improvements or to do a mixture of both! Small changes can make a big difference, so start making your home more sustainable today...every little bit helps!
10 Top Energy Saving Improvements:
1. Door & Window Seals - $200 - $300
2. Ceiling Insulation - $1,200 - $1,800
3. Evaporative Cooling System - $2,000 - $3,000
4. External Blinds - $600 - $1,200
5. Ceiling Fan/s - $400 - $600
6. Energy-efficient Appliances - $800 - $1,200
7. Solar-Boosted Hot Water - $4,000 - $5,000
8. Install Damped Exhaust Fan - $300 - $500
9. Install Down-Light Guards - $300 - $500
10. Replace Light Globes - $100 - $200
Also, remember that:
• plumbing and electrical work must be done by a licensed contractor
• rebates are available on many sustainable home improvements