This is a real luxury, but ideal for a dressing room or a room that can only be accessed through another bedroom. Whether it’s going to add value depends on the overall balance of your home – taking a three-bedroom house down to a two would be inadvisable. But if you have three good-sized bedrooms plus a dressing room, it could be a good choice.
• As this is likely to be a small space, a chair bed is more practical than a sofa bed.
• Layout is crucial if you want the room to have flexibility in the future. Leave one wall free of cupboards so that future owners can fit in a bed (even if it’s a single) if they need to.
• Fitted cupboards will make the most of space and provide storage for everything from spare bed linen and clothes to makeup. Don’t forget to factor in extra storage for bedding in the hard to reach areas at the top or bottom.
• Good lighting around a mirror is a bonus – and the bigger the mirror, the bigger the room will feel.
• Colours should be clean and soothing – nothing too bright or patterned that would detract from the art of dressing.