Try these home-made room fresheners as an alternative to artificial fragrances
Lately, there’s been a lot of news around artificial room fragrances that can contain nasties such as phthalates that have been known to cause hormonal abnormalities, birth defects and reproductive problems, aggravate allergies and asthma and can even bother your pets, as well.
If you’re after an alternative, try these delicious and long lasting room scents that can be made out of herbs, spices and fruit peels that you’d usually throw away!
We’ve taken inspiration from around the web to create some sweet smelling fragrances that will outdo any store bought air freshener… These also make a fabulous home made gift.
How to make DIY Room Fragrances
1. Get some inspiration from the ingredient list below.
2. For best results, combine your ingredients in a jar and leave for at least two weeks. This will make it extra potent!
3. Then, just simmer the ingredients in water. Best results are on a stove in a small saucepan (bring to the boil, then simmer) but you can also try a slow cooker, a mug warmer or even an oil burner.
4. Enjoy the fragrance as it fills your entire house!
• Plants: Pine, cedar twigs, or fragrant eucalyptus leaves
• Extracts: Vanilla, almond and mint, lavender and eucalyptus
• Spices: cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, all spice, nutmeg, and anise
• Herbs: Lavender, Rosemary, Thyme, basil, mint
• Fruits: Lemon, Lime and orange peel, cranberries
Here are some suggested combinations to get you started, but be creative and mix up the ingredients that your nose likes best.
• Orange Peel, Star Anise, Rosemary
• Eucalyptus leaves, lemon, cinnamon
• Orange, Cloves, Vanilla
• Lime, Thyme, mint,
• Lavender, All Spice, Cinnamon
• Lemon, vanilla, rosemary
• Orange, Ginger, Nutmeg