In this recipe, the festive Christmas plant Ivy is transformed into a luxurious cream to treat painful legs after too much Xmas shopping! Ivy contains saponins, anti-inflammatory chemicals, which reduce swelling and ease discomfort.
1. Dry 50g of ivy leaves in a low oven until crunchy.
2. Place into a blender, along with the peel of one grapefruit, 200mL of gin and 10 drops of juniper oil, traditionally used to increase blood flow.
3. Whiz up in a blender.
4. Strain the vivacious green mixture into a jar.
5. Then in a bain marie, make the base of your mixture.
6. Place 200g of sunflower oil, 1tsp beeswax for thickening and 3tsp of emulsified wax into the bowl. (You can buy the emulsified wax, which helps combine the oil and water together, from herbal suppliers).
7. Whisk over heat until the wax is entirely melted.
8. Slowly whisk in the vibrant green ivy mixture, a little at a time, until you get a velvety creamy consistency.
9. Bottle into jars.
The cream will keep for up to two months in the fridge.