Shannon Lush reveals how to clean and organise a grimey, messy fridge.
Clean the fridge
1. Empty the fridge (store the contents in an esky) and wipe all the surfaces thoroughly using bicarb soda and white vinegar.
2. Vertical surfaces should be cleaned using the two-sponge technique: wring one sponge out in water, then dip it in bicarb soda, then soak the other in white vinegar and (working on the surface to be cleaned), press the vinegar sponge over the bicarb sponge until it fizzes and finally rub the surfaces thoroughly (as you would with ordinary cleaners).
3. Once all the surfaces are coated, you can wipe them over with a damp (water soaked) sponge.
Restocking your fridge
1. Put any foods containing protein (like meat and cheese) in the coldest part of the fridge near the freezer and any containing sugars (like fruit and veges) in the warmest part in, or near the crisper so they don’t crystallise.
2. Finish the fridge overhaul with a deodoriser: this is a small sushi dish containing bicarb soda in one half (to absorb odours) and vanilla essence in the other (to make it smell nice).
For more information and tips from Shannon, visit the Lush House show page here