Light and neutral paint colours are considered safe because they tend to blend in with everything.
But all too often, blending goes hand in hand with bland. So if you are craving a bit of excitement, why not create a bold statement?
Use darker colours to create an absolute sensation in your home decoration.
Here are some valuable tips for those ready to take the plunge with paints and papers!
- Darker colours can highlight the feel and style you are aiming to achieve, such as the Moroccan one designer Hannah Sandling accomplishes.
- Darker colours create a sense of warmth and intimacy, especially in bedrooms.
- Avoid using dark colours in extremely small rooms as it will close the room up and create a claustrophobic feel, rather than a cosy one.
- If your room IS small, use the chosen dark colour on ONE wall, then take a much lighter shade of the same colour, to paint the rest of your walls.
- Always consider the amount of natural sunlight entering the room – the more light, the darker you can go and vice versa.
- Dark paint makes any wall defect more noticeable, so make sure you clean and sand walls well before applying.
For more great decorating tips catch 60 Minute Makeovers on LifeStyle HOME.