Candles are a great way of adding atmosphere to a room and we have plenty of tips on the best way to display them.
From basic essential to beautiful accessory, candles can create a whole mood and look in your home.
Here are a few ways that candles can transform your entertaining space:
- Try tying bundles of tapered candles together. They work particularly well outdoors – bunch a block of 10 on a Balinese style platter, or position three or four tall candles together to brighten a dull corner
- Create a stunning display of floating candles with brightly coloured flowerheads in a beautiful bowl of water - anemones and ranunculus work well
- Look for alternatives to traditional candles. Tiny tea-lights in bright Moroccan glasses are really effective if you stand them in a row, perhaps along the centre of a dining or coffee table.
- Candles in a cut-out lantern will cast beautiful shadows across your wall, or simply try Chinese paper lanterns. They don't cost much but look great at a dinner or party
Things to consider
- Store candles in a cool, dark place to preserve their colour and scent. They may bend if you leave them in direct sunlight for long periods of time.
- For longer-lasting candles, choose ones with a rich, deep colour and a solid waxy texture. Put them in the freezer for two hours before lighting.
- To remove candle wax from table linen or soft furnishing, place brown paper or kitchen towel over the dried wax and gently press with an iron. The wax will be transferred to the paper. Repeat until all wax is removed
- The best way to extinguish a candle is to use a special candle snuffer or candle quencher or alternatively hold your finger in front of the flame and blow at your finger. Don’t use water – it can cause the hot wax to spatter and some candle containers to break.