Shannon Lush reveals how to clean a dirty faux suede couch.
• Stains with a ring or circle around the outside contain protein and should be washed in cold water or the stain will set. If unsure of what type of stain it is, treat it as a protein stain and wash with cold water.
• If it doesn’t remove, then it could be a fat stain, which can be washed using hot water.
• If the marks are just from grime, simply use bran and white vinegar to clean (see below).
When it comes time to wash in the washing machine, Shannon uses her special stain removing washing mix: 1/2 a cup of white vinegar and 1/2 a cup of cheap shampoo (expensive shampoo often contains more additives like fruit oils which can effect the fabric).
• Any parts of the upholstery that can’t go in the washing machine can be cleaned with a mix of: 1 tablespoon of natural bran, a small dash of white vinegar and 2 or 3 drops of dishwashing detergent – stirred together with your fingers.
• Dip a stiff dishwashing brush in the mixture and rub it over the upholstery. The bran will make a bit of a mess but at least it’s clean mess - and the results are worth it.
• You can use bran and white vinegar to clean all soft furnishings, soft toys, silver and sisal flooring. Bran works best on fresh stains so try to do these treatments as soon as you see a mark appear.
For more information and tips from Shannon, visit the Lush House show page here