Don’t know what to put in your lounge room to give it that “just stepped out of a magazine spread” feel? Designer John Amabile from 60 Minute Makeovers has these handy tips:
- Don’t go too crazy with the design of accessories if you’re room is busy, try to pick one or two things to be the focus.
- Choose a theme and stick to it – modern, rustic, oriental?
- Crome and glass accessories coordinate with other furniture well.
- Take inspiration for your accessories from the design of your room such as stripes in a curtain or green from a plant.
- When hanging pictures on the wall take into the account the furniture and whether you need to take up room vertically or horizontally.
- Shapes are important in choosing your accessories. Round coffee tables may look lovely in a home where gentle curves and round accessories dominate however; it might not work with modern styled furniture where angles dominate and accent pieces are angular.
For a quick and easy painting get a few canvases from your local fabric store and paint them white. Make up some wall plaster – you can buy this in bags from your local hardware store. Put it on the canvas in a swirling motion. Wait till it is dry and spray with your desired spray paint colour. Silver works nicely on a white background.
For more great decorating tips catch 60 Minute Makeovers on LifeStyle HOME.