If your bedroom doesn't get much light, your first instinct is probably to paint everything white. But Shannon has a different idea, and the results are stunning. With careful use of colour, Shannon accentuates the intimacy of this cute bedroom.
The most attractive colour schemes have one dominant colour, one subordinate, and one for accent or trim. In this case Shannon has chosen pink, followed by sandy, with blue trim to create a dreamy princess-style girlie haven.
Things to consider
- Take care when choosing pink paints. Pink (red mixed with white) is always brighter on the wall, so try before you buy. Blue-based pinks can feel too cold, while apricot-tinged pinks can feel too hot.
- Consider your bedroom lighting carefully. Pinks are particularly flattering so use low-wattage lamps and keep lights soft and low level for a gentle-but-sexy atmosphere.
- Solid wood furniture (like a chest of drawers) is perfect for a soft room scheme and its natural finish stops pink walls becoming too sickly. Go for chunky shapes with strong, modern lines that won't date however many times you redecorate around them.
- Add pattern and detail to your bedroom scheme, for example with flower-print fabric-covered journals.
- Mix the colours and textures of your bed linen, for example use white cotton sheets with embroidered details to keep it looking fresh, and layers of satin for a luxurious touch.
Equipment and Suppliers
- for the walls, Blushing Pink 4C-2T i.d low sheen acrylic
- for the ceiling, White i.d low sheen acrylic
- for the doors, door and cupboard surrounds, Bleached Sand 35A-3P high gloss enamel
- for the skirting, Blushing Pink 4C-2T high gloss enamel
- for the cupboard door, Satin 66C-3D high gloss enamel
574 Crown Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Ph: (02) 9318 2080
- curtains for window and cupboard
Mother of Pearl & Sons
34 – 36 McLachlan Avenue
Rushcutter's Bay NSW 2011
Ph: (02) 9332 4455
- hook for curtain and curtain rail
40 Ocean Street
Woollahra NSW 2025
Ph: (02) 9327 6713
- shabby chic linen cushions with coffee/cream stripes and pom-poms $150 ea
- shabby chic linen striped and floral cushion $125 ea
85 Hall Street
Bondi NSW 2026
Ph: (02) 9365 0500
- embroidered piano shawl white silk with pink flowers $650
- 2 x pink floral print rectangular cushions with pink velvet backs
- Glo-thru angel wing candle with pink flowers inside $25
- Indochina ceramic bottle blue/white design large $154
- 2 x musk scented 80 hr candles $12.85 ea
- 2 x grass scented 80 hr candles $12.85 ea
- 1 x grass scented 70 hr candle $9.50
- 1 x grass scented 40 hr candle $5.50 ea
- 13 crystal knobs on dresser and bedside table
15 Transvaal Avenue
Double Bay NSW 2028
Ph: (02) 9362 1620
Klee Mache by Dan 300 Designs
5/11 Leichhardt Street
Waverley NSW 2024
Ph: (02) 9388 9411
Level 8, 10 – 14 Waterloo Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Ph: (02) 9288 4025
Lucky Trieu Fabrics
Shop G8 Dixon House
413 – 415 Dixon Street
Chinatown, Sydney 2000
Ph: (02) 9281 2357