We went to one of Sydney's hippest hotels, The Kirketon Hotel in Sydney's Darlinghurst, for a bit of pillow talk about everything you need for a perfect night's sleep.
Proprietor of The Kirketon, Terry Schwamberg, told us that when people stay in a hotel, they are buying a good night's sleep. Since her hotel doesn't have a great view, the quality of the rooms is all the more important. Terry says she spent a year sampling the beds in the best hotels in Europe before she settled on her winning bedding formula.
Things to consider:
- For the bed itself, it's important to have a very, very thick base and mattress to provide comfort and support. A mattress protector with it's elasticised corners stays in place and is a must.
- Terry uses subtle-but-beautiful luxurious linen, with quality coverings and blankets. She emphasises keeping colours and patterns simple. Layering and throws add to the 'look' of the bed.
- It is important that the sheets are 100% cotton. Even a little polyester will increase the chances of sweating, so should be avoided, particularly in Australia.
- A higher thread count of 200+ indicates a more luxurious quality sheet – they're the ones to go for.
- Terry says doonas are unsuitable for the Australian climate. Instead, sheets and blankets allow you to regulate temperature in a way doonas can't. Each bed at the Kirketon has one or two pure mohair blankets.
- Good pillows are crucial, and the more the better! The beds at the Kirketon have one synthetic pillow and one goose down pillow. Goose down isn't cheap but is a lot finer and softer than duck feathers, which can poke out the pillow.
- Hypoallergenic synthetic pillows are good for people with allergies and for those who like a firmer, springy pillow.
- Evidence of Terry's winning formula is in the popularity of the beds. Not only has she sold pillows and sheets, but she has also taken orders for the actual beds themselves. She sold one to a visitor from London who said he'd never before had such a wonderful night's sleep.
Equipment and Suppliers
The Kirketon Hotel
229 Darlinghurst Road
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Ph: (02) 9332 2011