Shannon Fricke looks at bathroom makeovers that won't break the bank.
As much as we’d all love a new designer bathroom, the reality is that a complete Bathroom Renovation can set you back $20,000 easy.
But we show you how a “mini makeover” with new bathroom fittings, a coat of paint, and a couple of well thought out larger pieces – as well as help from a plumber and carpenter – can give you virtually a brand new bathroom for a fraction of the cost and effort.
Here are some cheap and easy ideas to revamp your bathroom:
- Re-paint the bathroom vanity and replace the tap fittings, toilet seat and toilet roll holder with a more contemporary range for an immediate impact on the whole look of the bathroom.
- Replace the shower curtain with a glass shower screen. This is a much cleaner and modern solution to the space and is also more effective in keeping the water from spraying out into the rest of the room.
- If your bathroom doubles as a laundry you could install cupboard doors to conceal the laundry sink and washing machine. Installing shelves for Bathroom Storage also makes the area much more functional.
- If you’re not happy with the colour of your wall tiles you don’t have to replace them. Nowadays you can just paint over them, and with a tin of paint setting you back about $38 a litre, this was the most economical job of our bathroom make-over. The finish is guaranteed to last anywhere between 5 - 10 years. A cracked tile can also now be putty-filled and touched-up with this tile paint.
- Keep all your “unsightly” products, ie nail polish remover, medicine, cottonbuds etc in a cupboard such as the vanity unit, and all your “beautiful” things like perfumed soap, glass bottles, bath salts and lotions displayed on a shelf with your colour coded towels.
- Hang a sprig of eucalyptus leaves from the shower-head – it gives off a beautiful aroma whilst showering with the steam moving through it.
- To optically alter the dimensions of a narrow bathroom, hang a long mirror across the shortest wall.
- A large strategically placed mirror can hide a few defects