The Palmer’s 3-bedroom house has a downstairs area that is one large L-shaped room with a very low ceiling. Currently it’s the kids’ rumpus room, a home office, a storage room, and a TV room. It doesn’t need a major renovation, just a revamp to be more useful.
In her make-over, Shannon shows just how effective a lick of paint, a touch of style, and some practical storage solutions can be to totally transform a room.
- Shannon has chosen a pale lilac colour to replace the lemon coloured walls. A combination of warm and cool colours, lilac enables the furniture to be changed during the year to accentuate its warm red cosy aspect in the winter months, and its cooler blue hues in summer.
- The ceiling will be painted white to make it appear higher than it actually is. We’ll keep the neutral coloured carpet as it blends in perfectly.
- To solve Sue’s storage problem, Shannon is having a wall unit installed. Running the entire length of the wall, it will contain the computer and filing cabinet as well as the ironing board, the family’s linen and all that other stuff that fills up storage cupboards! Built out of Tasmanian Oak, the unit blends in with the existing wood features of the room.
- The kids’ toys and books will be stored up high on shelves of either a matching tone of wood or a white finish, of varying lengths and positioned to offset the one above.
- Shannon has chosen a large chocolate coloured sofa for the space. The darker colour is essential for a children’s playroom as it will appear cleaner for longer. The size of the sofa should accommodate the whole family if needed.
- The rest of the room is decorated using lots of bright colours – reds, chocolates, creams and oranges – with cushions in luscious fabrics like velvet, corduroy and wool.
- We’ve used lots of plastic furnishings which are easy to clean and child-friendly. Plastic storage crates are great for keeping toys tidy. With some bright plastic bongo stools, pod stools, a denim bean chair and a lovely red sheep skin rug for the floor, our transformation is complete!
Equipment and Suppliers
|Wall storage unit |
128 Queen St,
Alexandria, Sydney 2015
Tel. 9698 9766
Retail price $4300
Shelves for children’s books and toys
Shelf or pivotelli of the TV
|Apollo lilac rectangle ottoman & red sheepskin rug|
Pod and bongo stool