The first thing you need to do before purchasing any antique furniture is to consider how the pieces will match the current décor of your home. If your home has a minimalist design, adding an ornate Victorian object will look out of place. You will also need to think about what your style is and what design periods can help achieve the look that you are after. Then have fun mixing and matching your favourite styles.
When choosing antique furniture, go for those that are functional as well as attractive, such as chairs, cabinets, desks and dressing tables. In addition, incorporate antiques throughout your home. You can enhance almost any living space with a piece of artisan furniture from an elaborately gilded mirror in the foyer to a sturdy coffee table in the den to a hand-planed bench in the kitchen. Reproduction furniture is also available if you like the “antique look” but do not want to fork out too much money. True antique furniture collectors, however, shun reproduction pieces for authentic period pieces from specific popular eras.
Explore your antique furniture options
You can find antique furniture of every style and aesthetic on eBay Australia, from stately Gothic headboards to modernist Eames chairs. The real fun is in narrowing down what you like and what will work best in your home.
Start by browsing eBay Australia’s entire antique furniture category, which is organised by object and style, to get an idea of what you like. When your own tastes and sense of style start to develop, you will probably discover items that you haven’t ever considered before. A few ideas to start with:
- Sleek: Select dramatic Art Deco cabinets.
- Elaborate: Enjoy a richly ornamented Victorian dressing table.
- Simple: Display a beautifully aged Edwardian wardrobe.
Research antique furniture
Antique furniture is a wide-ranging subject. Even if you are only focusing on one aspect of it, a lot of research is required in order to become knowledgeable.
- Establish value: Many collectors prefer specific eras, styles, and makers, while others have more eclectic tastes. In either case, an authentic piece’s value is most influenced by its condition, rarity, and history.
- Get an expert opinion: It is more likely for a trained eye to find an undervalued treasure, also know as a clever masquerade, than a novice. Keep up to date about the latest news and trends in the antiques market by checking out important trade publications.
- Consider practical matters: Be sure to consider the size and weight of each antique furniture piece you are thinking of purchasing. It can be very expensive to ship furniture so look for eBay Australia sellers in your region to reduce postage costs. Also, look for sellers who use blanket wrap shipping services.
Find antique furniture on eBay Australia
Once you know what type of antique furniture you want, go to the Antiques Furniture portal, click Furniture, and start searching for item listings on eBay Australia.
Categories list on the left side of each page will help you narrow down your listings by item type. You'll find links for Pre 1900, 1900-1949 and 1950-now.
Search eBay Australia listing titles for specific words. For example, if you want to find a Victorian-era table, type “Victorian table” " (without quotation marks) into the Search box. Click "Search title and description" to expand your results.
Buy with confidence
Before making your purchase, make sure you know exactly what you're buying, research your seller, and understand how eBay Australia and PayPal protect you.
Carefully read the details in item listings.
• Figure delivery costs into your final price. If you spend a lot of money, make sure the seller will insure the item when it ships.
• If you want more information, ask by clicking the “Ask seller a question” link under the seller's profile.
• Always make sure to complete your transaction on eBay Australia (with a bid, Buy It Now, or Best Offer). Transactions conducted outside of eBay Australia are not covered by eBay Australia protection programs.
• Never pay for your eBay Australia item using instant cash wire transfer services through Western Union or MoneyGram. These payment methods are unsafe when paying someone you do not know.
Know your seller
Research your seller so you feel positive and secure about every transaction.
• What is the seller's Feedback rating? How many transactions have they completed? What percentage of positive responses do they have?
• What do buyers say in their Feedback? Did the seller receive praise?
• Most top eBay Australia sellers operate like retail stores and have return policies. Do they offer a money-back guarantee? What are the terms and conditions?
In the unlikely event that a problem arises during your transaction, PayPal enables you to pay without the seller ever seeing your bank account or credit card numbers. In fact, PayPal protects buyers 100% against unauthorised payments from their accounts. Plus your purchase can be covered up to $1,500.