We might love a house full of antiques from the 1880s but most of our wallets won't stretch that far. But there is an affordable way to fill your house with pieces from the past, and that is to go for Australiana, especially pieces from the 1930s.
Be creative. A milk canister looks great as a vase. A meat safe makes a perfect china cabinet. These everyday items were once undervalued but no more. Just like more traditional antiques they will grow in value. They might be run of the mill objects to your granny but they will give your house character, a sense of history and a lot of soul.
Things to consider
- Auctions and markets are a great place to pick up items like this. Check your local guides
- Keep an eye out for garage sales and/or deceased estate listing in the papers
- This look is all about the rustic and aged style so don't be afraid to buy pieces that are slightly damaged. It just adds to the character, and makes them cheaper!
- Raid your grandparents' attic! There is bound to be a treasure chest of stuff locked away up there – or even in their kitchen.
- Don't be afraid to mix styles from different eras. The '30s can go with the '50s goes with the '90s etc.
Equipment and Suppliers
Sydney Antique Centre
531 South Dowling Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Ph: (02) 9331 1044
- milk can (art 279) $150.00
- old Australian made blue and white striped tin "patented fairy sifter" $65
- early Australian pottery mixing bowl, flannel flower design $125 (sale $165)
- english T.G. Green blue/white striped Cornishware large tea cup + saucer $125
- 3 x 1930's Australian beige Bakewells pottery bowls, medium $30 ea
- framed painting of Bendigo Digger Jams 35.5092 $75
- framed painting Swallow & Ariell's 35.5152 $75
- large mortar and pestle with wooden handle 35.5201 $60
- 2 x milk Ducat bottles 35.5185 $30 ea
- 2 x milk 1lt Ark bottle 35.3154 $35 ea
- Australian Choice table honey pot with dispenser to back "marked Maitland" 1950's $275
- 'Enjoy Turf' cigarette red tin sign $120
- red enamel teapot R5806B $65
- red enamel coffee pot R5806A $65
- old enamel handled pourer $55
- 1930's Australian small pine table with original green paint $300 (sale$395)
Major & Tom
45 Barwon Park Road
St Peter's NSW 2044
Ph: (02) 9557 8380
- 4 x red/yellow industrial chairs w/ kauri seats $350 ea
- 2 x kauri wood benches (for dining table) $1400 pr
- terracotta mixing bowl $95
- 3 x pairs Indian clubs $50 pr
- Nestle advertising sign $120
- Dulux advertising chair $360