When you have a house that has been stripped of all its original features, you need to find a way to bring the detail back to make the house stand out from the crowd. Shaynna Blaze shares her tips
• One way to do this is by trying to put back some of the original style features, like fireplaces or decorative cornicing. You can often source these from architectural salvage yards.
• But you don’t need to go the whole period route. Here I’ve used a modern glass panel rather than the traditional stair spindles for a dramatic result.
• Window treatments are another way to bring interest into a room. I’ve used white plantation shutters to give a Colonial feel to all of the rooms in this house. These frame the windows beautifully and help to make the rooms feel bigger than they actually are.
• Another trick is to use a dramatic colour scheme to create contrast and accentuate the features.
• Street appeal is paramount, as Mr. Winter always says! So we’ve installed this traditional iron balustrade on the upstairs balcony to bring some charm back to the façade.
• And for a modern twist, you can’t go past a bright orange door!
To ask Shaynna a question, click HERE