Sustainable is a very big word with a lot of meanings. It can refer to products that are recycled, or are biodegradable, but it can also refer to products that are environmentally friendly, stand the test of time, promote fair trade or ones that even support local industry.
When it comes to homewares here are Shannon’s top 5 in the sustainable range:
- Collecting beautiful pieces of ceramics is sustainable in a couple of ways because first of all these are all hand made so you’re sustaining a local industry. But the other way that they are sustainable is that they’re so beautiful, you’re going to want to really look after them and pass them down the generations. Prices vary.
- This rug is made by Spanish designer Nani Marquina who has ensured that her rugs are produced in the most ethical way. They all boast the ‘Kaleen’ label which means they are all made without the use of child labour and they’re fair trade rugs. The ‘Car and Fair’ label also means that the areas which these rugs are produced help to improve the children’s welfare in those countries. Prices vary.
- This coral light (pictured above) is by David Trubridge and he is known for using the natural environment as his inspiration for his work. This is a truly sustainable piece to have in your house because even though it is made from wood, David only uses regenerated wood, which means trees are planted specifically for this use, and replaced as they are used. 600mm $356.
- These beautiful fabrics from Cloth are designed by Julie Patterson. Julie is unique as she prints her designs predominantly on hemp which is one of the world’s most renewable resources. And it’s also UV and mould resistant and extremely strong so it will just last and last. Prices vary per metre.
- This moulded plywood shell chair is designed by Hans Wegner in 1963. And it’s sustainable because it is so well made that it has lasted the test of time, but more importantly it’s design is so classic that it still is as sleek today as it was all those years ago. And having the same chair for a lifetime has to be good for the environment. From $3159.