Give your wallet and the environment a rest this Christmas, by getting creative and recycling your wrapping paper.
Rubbish volumes spike by up to 30 percent at Christmas, and a large portion of that is discarded wrapping paper. But it doesn’t have to be that way - do your wallet and the environment a favour and think outside the wrapping box with these 10 clever upcycled solutions!
1. Don’t buy plastic wine bags - cut the leg of a pair of jeans, sew the bottom, and finish with a ribbon. Easy! Alternatively, use the sleeve of an old jumper.
2. We love this idea for using old newspaper! Fold into small bags and finish with a doily.
3. Lay out some butchers paper and let the kids go crazy with paint.
4. Old tins with a little spray paint and crepe paper become a quirky and original gift box!
5. Repurpuse old maps, sheet music or even newspaper.
6. Who says you have to use paper? Use old fabric or even stylish tea towels as a novel way to wrap a gift.
7. Upcycle old biscuit tins with a blast of spray paint.
8. Don’t buy fancy containers – just cover your Pringles can in wrapping paper for something that can be used over and over!
9. Believe it or not, this beautiful container is an old coke bottle!
10. Save it for next year! Christmas cards as well as wrapping paper can be recycled – so stash it away in a box and bring it out next year.