‘Party food’ is just that, and while it might be tempting, there is no need to eat all of it all the time. There will be many parties and the food will pretty much be the same everywhere you go, so remind yourself that passing it up this time does not mean passing it up forever. There may come a time when what’s on the table means nothing to you, because you are so busy being the life of the party you no longer turn to the food for company. And if you put down the cake long enough to walk around the room you never know who you might meet.
The key is not to panic when faced with temptations. Have some great ‘rules’ to help you through, and you will find life has more to offer than what’s lurking on the snack table.
10 Party Food Tips
1. Never go to a party hungry. Eat a healthy, fulfilling meal first.
2. Always take a plate with a healthy alternative (low-fat dip, carrot sticks, pretzels, low-fat dessert).
3. Never go out to dinner starving. Have a protein shake or snack before walking out the door, because otherwise you will be famished by the time you order and that does not bode well when choosing what to eat (bring on the ten-course degustation meal!).
4. Always drink lots of water—between drinks, before meals and in between mouthfuls.
5. Never stand near a table of food. Go and stand next to someone single and good-looking instead.
6. Always exercise the day you are going out.
7. Learn to say NO.
8. If going out for the day (to a school fete, staff picnic etc.) you don’t NEED to eat the food they have there, which may not always be a very healthy choice. You can pack your own healthy lunch and snacks.
9. You don’t need to eat three courses every time you eat out. Save that kind of excess for one-offs. You could just settle for a main and a bite of your partner’s dessert. I rarely, if ever, order dessert but always order a spoon.
10. Never feel obliged to do anything you don’t want to. Your goals are just that yours. Own them and make them happen.
By making consistently healthy choices, the party season will pass without your having to speed dial the lipo clinic.
For more health tips from Ajay Rochester, grab her new book “5-Minute Diet Book” out now, ($29.95, New Holland).