Gardening guru Meredith Kirton shares how easy it is to grow your own tomatoes this spring.
1. They can be grown in pots, in the ground, in hanging baskets and even directly into a bag of potting mix, so adapt well for home gardeners, both novice and expert.
2. Tomato plants are very cold sensitive, so wait till the soil is 20 degrees and all chances of frost has gone before planting.
3. The key to success is to have lots of sun – at least six hours, more if possible
4. Try some of the heirloom types with their striped skins and zany colour combinations.
5. Feed them with regular applications of liquid fertiliser and don’t let them dry out.
Why not try your delicious tomatoes topped on this delicious baked eggplant stack or simply eat them fresh with a little salt, pepper and olive oil.
For more advice on what to grow and cook this Spring, you can catch Meredith Kirton as well as celebrity chef, Dominique Rizzo at LINDEMAN’S Open Garden, which return for its third year to Australia’s favourite Spring festival, Floriade. For more information, check out www.lindemans.com.au.