Q&A - Ask An Expert
Answered Wednesday 10 November 2010 |
I am 47 in a few days, I have no issue with my age however I am struggling more and more everyday with what I should wear. I have an executive position and I leave the house feeling great until I get out and about and then feel positively underdress or incorrectly dressed, or perhaps no appropriate for the occasion. My body is changing and i am now a size 10-12 have a bit of a bulge little round the middle (due to a pretty nasty scar I have had all my life) but overall think I am in good shape for my age. I have a little cellulite on tops of my legs and butt (which also has a nasty scar I have had my whole life).
I am finding I am choosing things in my wardrobe that are "safe" and I have some lovely clothes. I start the week with the thought I will wear this and that and I dont do it.
My style is usually tailored it seems to suit me better, I would like my casual to be romatic but it tends to be a collection of god knows what and I hate jeans on me.
So I shall say mmm please help
You have a fabulous shape, and age is only a number.
Your shoulders are in proportion to your hips, and the most narrow part is under your bust. You look to be the classic 'skittle' shape. As you mentioned tailored clothes are best on you. Picking up my first point, you should look for dresses with an open neckline, small little capped sleeve, fitted under the bust and around the hips. If your middle section is your area of concern, then look for dresses that have a draping, rouching or pleating details that skim over your tummy. Also look for fabrics that have a heavy drape, so that they don't cling to your mid section.
With workwear, we all tend to get stuck in a blouse / pants or suit rut. Every morning you get up and struggle with mixing and matching. We overlook the humble little dress. It's great for work, and easy to dress up and dress down. In the warmer months wear a cropped jacket over it or accessorise with a nice belt and bag and in the cooler months wear a nice jacket or blazer over it. If you choose the right style dresses, you can even get more wear out of them at nights or on the weekends.
Below are just a few more handy hints to keep in mind when dressing:
* Always emphasis the most narrow part of your body (under bust/waist). Wear clothes that are tailored or use a belt to cinch yourself in.
* Always keep your neckline open, a deep V or rounded neckline, the later is probably better.
* Dresses with parallel vertical panels will keep your body smooth, and make you look slimmer and taller.
* Google "The Galaxy dress' - this style dress is great for you, you should also try on a wrap dress made from a heavy drape jersey fabric.
* Look for tops, blouses and jackets that have some volume in the shoulder, this will make your waist look smaller.
Thanks for dropping me a line.