- Second hand timber with old fixes in it like nails and screws can damage your tools if you try to recut or re-machine it. You need to make sure all of these nails are taken out before you start work repurposing it.
- A lot of recycled timber is full of worm dust. When you hit it on the ground see how much comes out. This wood is probably best used as a feature piece as it is not structurally sound.
- Structural timber used for walls and the roof should be stress graded and pressure treated to prevent rot so sometimes it’s safest to buy new.
- Recycled ply wood used for exterior cladding or floorboards is a good option as it’s mainly decorative.
- If you want to take old timber from a skip or construction site make sure you ask the owner first.
For more great home makeover ideas see Tommy’s Fix Your House For Free on LifeStyle HOME.