Bunnings National Doors, Ladders and Windows Buyer, Karl Jani, provides his tips on updating your doors this warm season.
1. Always measure your doorway framebefore you choose a door. Most doors will come without the locks and handles attached, so remember you will need to install them when putting your new door in.
2. Door handle and lock mechanisms can vary depending on the type of door you purchase. Door handles and locks should be attached to the door in accordance with manufacturer's guidelines.
3. When fitting, attach your hinges to the door with the screws provided. Close the hinges and stand the door in place with two wedges supporting the bottom (each side) and one supporting the top (middle). You should try and leave a 3mm gap all around the door. Use a tape measure if needed.
4. Remove the door and complete the installation by marking the hinge inside the doorway with a builders square or spirit level. Next open the door and prop it up so that the hinges are aligned with the marks on the doorway and so the door sits level.
Drill in one screw for the top hinge first thenthe bottom hinge. Make sure the door swings freely and that a 3mm gap is left between the door and the door lock. Now drill the remaining screws.
5. Close the door and mark out the top and bottom of the latch. Open the door and centre the striker plate over the two latch marks. Pencil out the opening of the striker plate and mark the screw holes. Drill the pilot holes for the screws and drill orchisel out the marked rectangle to the correct depthor 20mm.
6. Check that the latch fits into the hole and then attach the striker plate with the screws provided. Check that the lock functions correctly. Door closers may or may not be included when you purchase a screen door, if not, they are simple to D.I.Y. install!
For more handy tips and advice, check out our helpful DIY section!