• Apply a system using four laundry hampers to sort dirty clothes.
• One for whites, one for reds, one for colours and one for stains.
• Red clothes are more likely to leach colour into other fabrics, which is why it gets its own hamper.
• The last person to fill the hamper puts on a load of washing.
Using less detergent
• Add bicarb soda and vinegar to the detergent mix.
• All you’ll need is 1/3 the normal quantity of washing powder, sprinkled evenly over the clothes + 2 tablespoons of bicarb soda (also evenly sprinkled), then 2 tablespoons of white vinegar in the fabric conditioning slot of the machine.
• The bicarb soda is a natural washing agent which dissolves dirt and grease and the vinegar is a mild acid which lifts residual detergent leaving the clothes nice and soft.
Keep dirty clothes off the floor
• Buy a detachable laundry hamper - about $60 from Howard's Storage World.
• This is a hamper you can unhook and carry to the laundry, and it comes in several colours.
For more information and tips from Shannon, visit the Lush House show page here